Born on the core-worlds of G-D52, you are a distant relative of a vestige of humanity long discarded. Symbiotic plant-cells suffuse your skin and provide a protective layer that keeps you alive, and affords you regeneration unmatched by any other race. Your physiology is similar, but fundamentally different to a normal carbon life form. The chlorophyll in your epidermis provides passive nourishment and regeneration in light, but your biological processes rely on some degree of light being present at all times. Darkness is your greatest foe. Even the cold expanses of space are lit by neighbouring stars, but the darkest recesses of the station's interior may prove to be your greatest foe. Stripped of light, you will wither and die. Heat and flame are even greater foes, as your epidermis is combustible. Be warned: you will perish quickly should you become so wounded that you lose consciousness in an area void of any meaningful light source.
The most significant benefit of phytosians is their innate regeneration in light. The regeneration heals toxin, oxygen, brute, and burn damage. It does not work while the phytosian is unconscious, so it will not save you from crit, and is balanced by significantly increased damage from many sources. In darkness, a phytosian will slowly take oxygen damage until they die or find a sufficient light source. Containers like lockers, morgues, and disposal chutes are too dark for phytosians to survive in for long periods.
When directly stunned by a handheld flash, phytosians will heal 5 each of brute, burn, oxygen, toxin, and clone damage, which is helpful because they cannot easily heal cloneloss from cryo.
When thralled by a shadowling, phytosians lose their innate healing in light and damage from darkness, and instead regenerate slowly when within three tiles of a shadowling.
Light also provides nutrition for the phytosian. During most rounds, a phytosian will never have to eat, and if you manage to survive long periods in darkness, you will become extremely hungry and slower as a result.
Phytosians take twice as much burn damage from weapons and lasers, and significantly greater damage from cold, heat, and acid. At very low and very high temperatures, including those found in cryo, phytosians will not heal from chemicals or light, making cryo ineffective and potentially deadly (unless some clever doctor sets the cryo freezer to above 150 degrees K).
Phytosians can speak privately over the pheromone channel with any other phytosians in view using :p. This will provide a message to all non-silicon living creatures in the area, revealing that you are speaking but with no hint of the content.
Phytosians are slightly slower than an average human.
Phytosians have unique reactions to many fertilizers and other related reagents in their system.
- Plant-B-Gone will deal toxin damage, oxygen damage, and confuse the phytosian
- Saltpetre will heal fire and toxin damage
- Ammonia will heal brute and burn damage
- Robust Harvest will heal toxin damage cause toxins to last twice as long as normal in the phytosian's system.
- Left-4-Zed will heal burn damage, but cause toxin damage and cause harmful mutations in the phytosian, similar to unstable mutagen.
- EZ-Nutriment will heal toxin and oxygen damage and stabilize the phytosian if it is in critical. It is also addictive at 15u, with withdrawal causing oxyloss.
- Diethylamine will heal brute, burn, toxin, and oxygen damage but overdose at 20u, causing heavy toxin damage.
- Sugar will double natural healing in light, but also triple damage in darkness. Phytosians enter hyperglycaemic shock much earlier than humans, overdosing at 40u.
- Any alcoholic drink will cause brain damage, toxin damage, and confusion, in addition to its normal effects. Strong drinks, such as Beepsky smash, will cause much heavier toxin damage and extreme sleepiness if they stay in a phytosian's system at high levels for an extended period.